Women often experience monthly symptoms such as minor pain, discomfort, and irregular menstrual cycles. However, when these conditions worsen or become consistently disruptive, they may signal a medical condition that can be quickly corrected through minimally invasive surgery.
The gynecologists at the Surgical Gynecology Center of Excellence in Los Angeles are experts in the female reproductive system and skilled in the examination and diagnosis of women’s medical conditions, including heavy bleeding (menorrhagia), uterine fibroids and polyps, and uterine prolapse (collapse of the uterus).
It can be difficult for women to distinguish between normal and atypical symptoms. However, there are certain indicators that signal a problem. Some common medical conditions that affect women include:
A variety of conditions and disorders can cause excessive uterine bleeding. In some cases, bleeding can even be normal. However, the following symptoms are typical indicators of menorrhagia:
- Severe pain and cramps
- Symptoms that interfere with daily life
- Excessive or prolonged bleeding
Fibroids are benign growths in the uterus. While no single cause has been identified, overproduction of the hormones estrogen and progesterone has been linked to uterine fibroids. Typical symptoms include:
- Bleeding between menstrual cycles
- Pain or discomfort in the pelvic area
- Excessive menstrual bleeding
- Discomfort during sex
Polyps can grow in the inner lining of a woman’s uterus. Most uterine polyps are benign and not painful, but sometimes symptoms can be severe and adversely affect quality of life. The following symptoms could be signs of uterine polyps:
- Bleeding after menopause
- Heavy or excessive menstrual bleeding
- Irregular periods or bleeding between periods
- Trouble getting pregnant
- Uterine Prolapse
- Uterine prolapse occurs when the muscles and ligaments of the pelvis weaken and allow the uterus to slide down into or protrude from the vagina. Common symptoms include:
- Lower back pain
- Problems with urinary track
- Uterine tissue that bulges out of the vagina
- Sensation of “pulling” in the pelvic region
The Surgical Gynecology Center of Excellence uses minimally invasive techniques that are performed at our technologically advanced facility. These procedures include:
- NovaSure – an endometrial ablation using radiofrequency energy to remove tissue from the uterine lining
- MyoSure – an outpatient procedure done to remove uterine fibroids and polyps without an incision or harm to the uterus
- Hysteroscopy – a technique used to diagnose and treat uterine conditions
Schedule an Appointment Today
If you aren’t enjoying life because of a gynecologic condition or disorder, contact La Peer’s Surgical Gynecology Center of Excellence at 888.817.1439. After consulting with one of our expert physicians, you will get answers to your questions about gynecologic surgery and information about treatment. Don’t wait. Contact us today!
Keep reading to learn more about excessive vaginal bleeding.